Friday, August 26, 2011

Progress update

Had some extra time this week to tinker.  Here's what I've got:

1) Finally screened and etched the SSOP24 breakout widget.  This is needed so I can breadboard the chip and find its magic.

SSOP-24 breakout.  Toner transfer method is surprisingly efffective.


2) I worked up a shift-register backpack for the LCD screen.   I figured since 4-bit uperation of the LCD screen requires only 7 pins, why not control them with a shift register and reduce the micro pins count by four?   why not indeed.  We will soon-ish see if this is wise or dumb, but I tossed together a simple interface board to help test.
You can see the evidence of a sloppy laser printer:  the ground pours are splotchy because the printer  is too.

3) I'd always planned on an LED Meter bridge backpack to hold the actual control ICs.  I had assumed something like the TLC5940 sinking the rows and a 595 through high-side transistors on the columns.  Trouble for me is, I don't see a great way to control the TLC5940 without using more pins than I have available...   so I'm falling back to plain shift registers.   I'd already made the LED meter board with plan A in mind, so I'll be driving columns no matter what.  unless I remake the board.
Here's the backpack, it'll hold one 74hc595 to fire seven transistors for the cols, and then two TPIC6B595s to sink the rows.

4) I drilled and tinned all of these, and began populating the meter backpack. The tinning ain't pretty, but it seems to work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment